If you want a new website, you need to select a content management system (CMS), a software platform that enables you to simply manage and operate your website. You may have heard a lot about “open-source” CMS. But what exactly does that term mean and why should you care? With a decade of experience in Open Source CMS, we continuously aspire to give back to the community.
Open-source solutions outperform proprietary ones on a basic level. Want to know why? Here are some benefits of embracing open source technology.
Open source CMS: What is it?
Open source refers to a style of software development paradigm in which the public is given free access to a program’s or application’s source code. An open-source Content Management System (CMS) is one that is available for anyone to access, read, alter, and distribute. The benefits of this openness and transparency for businesses looking for a CMS solution are numerous.
- First of all, being able to examine and access the CMS’s source code gives developers the knowledge they need to extend and customise the functionality to meet particular needs. This adaptability makes it possible to customise the CMS to the specific requirements of the business, providing more control and scalability.
- The open-source philosophy also fosters creativity and teamwork. The CMS can benefit from the contributions of a community of developers who can make suggestions for changes, find and repair errors, and strengthen security measures. Users have access to the most recent features and developments thanks to this cooperative effort, which results in a system that is always expanding and improving.
- The open-source business model also supports a thriving ecosystem of community-created plugins, themes, and extensions. The capabilities of the CMS are expanded by these extra parts, which also give users a variety of customization, design, and integration choices.
- Large and active user communities that offer plenty of resources are advantageous for open-source CMSs. Through forums, documentation, and user groups, users may ask for assistance, share information, and trade best practises, creating a helpful environment for those deploying and managing the CMS.
- In general, a CMS’s open-source nature gives businesses more power, flexibility, and adaptability. It promotes teamwork, creativity, and involvement in the community, ensuring that the CMS is strong, safe, and current. Employing an open-source CMS allows businesses to benefit from flexibility, continuous support, and transparency while avoiding vendor lock-in and licencing fees related to proprietary solutions.
What distinguishes proprietary CMS from open source CMS?
Like its name implies, open-source CMS also offers features that are available to the public and are free to use by anybody, subject to the terms of the licence, the most popular of which are GPL and Apache.
Open-source CMS developers make their code available for usage and modification by others. A developer community could get results from this, where programmers collaborate to create the product and support users.
You may be familiar with TYPO3, WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal as some of the more well-known open-source CMS platforms.
A proprietary CMS is, as its name suggests, software that was developed by a company, group of people, or individual. And, it is their legal property.
The owner of the CMS’s rights typically won’t make the source code available to the general public. Only people with a specific licence key can frequently use it.
Instances of digital experience platforms or proprietary content management systems are Kentico, Sitecore and Adobe Experience Manager.
Advantages of using an open source content management system
Get Regular updates with open-source CMS
A sizable developer community that supports open-source CMS platforms is constantly trying to enhance the code. The CMS constantly adds new features and enhances functionality, and bugs and security flaws are typically rectified fast.
Open-source CMS offers Community Assistance
When you utilise an open-source solution, you get the advantages of a large, supportive developer community who are all striving to enhance and contribute to the product you use. To improve the functionality of the platform, thousands of developers produce new templates and extensions and offer suggestions. Moreover, the majority of these added advantages you receive are free.
Obtain Flexibility and Freedom for a Better Experience
With an open-source CMS, you have the freedom to use whatever you want without having to sign expensive contracts, abide by the vendor’s terms, pay exorbitant charges for additional features, or work at their pace. You make all of your own decisions, not the vendor of the CMS you use. Additionally, you have the option of using any version of the required hardware and software. You can update whenever you want.
Attain Improved licencing
When it comes to proprietary CMS, one issue is that you have no ownership or rights if the programme malfunctions or stops working.
Open source licences, such as the GPL, are created explicitly to protect the user by allowing unrestricted, unlimited usage of the programme for as long as you wish.
However, in our opinion, hiring the finest open source CMS developers and giving them access to an open-source content management system gives you the best chance to obtain a website that will benefit your organisation both now and in the future.
The superior choice is open source. It is simpler to choose, plus you gain from increased security, a stronger customer-focused approach, and greater support.